Santa Fe Trail Center
The Santa Fe Trail Center is a nonprofit regional museum telling the story of the geographic area once known as the Santa Fe Trail. The museum includes both indoor and outdoor exhibits. Indoor exhibits present the history of the Santa Fe Trail. The outdoor portion of the museum includes a sod house, schoolhouse, and dugout.
Fort Larned National Historic Site
Fort Larned was established in 1859 on the vast prairie in western Kansas near the midpoint of the Santa Fe Trail. Fort Larned also was instrumental in maintaining friendly relations with Plains Indians by distributing annuities promised to them by treaties.
Today, with nine restored buildings, it is the best preserved Indian Wars military post on the Santa Fe Trail. The Fort Larned National Historic Site is located 6 miles west of Larned on Kansas 156.
Sibley's Camp is 1825 Santa Fe Trail survey team campsite.
108. Birthplace of Farm Credit
This 280 acres was collateral for the nation's first Federal Land Bank loan made on April 10, 1917 to farmer-stockman A. L. Stockwell. In those days, farmers and ranchers found credit hard to come by. If available, it was often very expensive...as much as 10% per month.
This marker is located on U.S.-56 in Pawnee County, southwest of Larned.
110. Camp Criley 1872
Camp Criley was established in 1872 as a supply station for workmen building the Santa Fe Railroad, named changed to Garfield in 1873 by pioneers settling here.
This marker is located on U.S.-56 in Pawnee County, in the City Park in Garfield.
109. Discoverer of Pluto
Burdett is the boyhood home of Dr. Clyde Tombaugh, discoverer of the planet Pluto. Born in Illinois in 1906, he grew up on a farm northwest of here and graduated from Burdett High School in 1925.
This marker is located on Kansas 156 in Pawnee County, on the west edge of Burdett.
Coon Creek Crossing, Garfield, Kansas
The Coon Creek Crossing is just north of U.S. Highway 56, about 1.5 miles west of the town of Garfield, Kansas. Wagon ruts are still visible on the north bank of the creek.